The fourth year of the Ely Stone Stash (ESS) by Into The Brush kicks off again on the Friday of MEA Weekend at 10 AM! IT’S FREE!
The kick-off will be announced by Into The Brush (OR Joe Baltich or Joe Baltich Art depending on if Facebook hates me or not on Friday – who knows!) in Facebook in the What’s Up Ely MN group and and also in the Great News Ely group in Facebook. Just click the links in the previous sentence.
At the 10 AM, ESS kick-off, you will be given the parameters of the stash.
In other words, we will tell you the streets and avenues that surround the regions where the stones are hidden. Note that stones will be hidden on public property only with the exception of possible placement on the very edges of private property where it meets public property. So, don’t be digging in someone’s garden or crawling in their garage. It could end badly for you. You won’t need to walk on any private property. Stones will not be buried, so leave your folding army shovel at home. Stones “could” be lightly hidden under other objects or tucked into holes that would be safe to pluck the rock from its hiding place. If you see a colorful stone sitting on the trigger pan of a set bear trap, walk away. It should be obvious that I am kidding about the bear trap….but DO apply common sense. Also, pay attention to traffic on the streets. Look for cars both ways BEFORE crossing and use crosswalks! Don’t assume the car will stop, either. I can’t believe I feel the need to say this, but my cynical side comes out these days. We don’t want anyone losing an arm (or worse) during a “free, public, fine art Easter egg hunt”.
Ely Stone Stash Summary:1. This free event starts at 10 AM in two locations right in ely. The locations will be announced at 10 AM. No early hunters, please. We’d appreciate everyone starting at the same time. While this is a public event, it’s nice when kids can find a stone. (Hint, hint…do you get my drift?)
2. We request that you keep only one stone. You may trade out that stone with others that you find. Please re-hide any traded stone preferably in the same place. Think of it as a bag limit of one, and “catch & release” for everything else. (In this case, stringer sorting is allowed – they aren’t fish, afterall.)
3. The finders of the golden eagle and golden moose can contact me in messenger, and you both win a $30 matted print by Joe Baltich.
4. There are about 100 rocks, total. Please post pictures of your find in What’s Up Ely MN or Great News Ely in Facebook. You may need to join one or both groups before Friday. It’s easy.
5. Any rocks not found, become part of the archaeology of Ely. Aliens will find them and wonder what the archaeic ritual was during our time. We’d much rather you find them and give them a home.
6. So, get out there and have fun with your family and friends! That’s all there is to it!